Senior Software Engineer - Backend
Who we are
Spill is a next generation social platform that puts culture first. Founded by a group of ex-Twitter employees in 2023, the platform aims to become the de facto place to discover and discuss culture worldwide. Spill utilizes large language model AI to improve content moderation and user support, blockchain technology to credit creators, and partnerships with major entertainment brands to break exclusive content worth talking about.
Announced in late December of 2022, Spill generated more than 25,000 waitlist requests in the first 24 hours. The following month, the firm secured a $2.75M pre-seed round of funding co-led by Kapor Center and MaC Ventures, in addition to investment from Sunset Ventures. The platform is set to launch its alpha product in Q1 of 2023.
We're looking for a talented Software Engineer to help create the APIs and services that will power the initial experience for Spill. When hired, you’ll collaborate with an experienced team that has scaled some of the largest most complex systems in the world.
What you’ll do
We're looking for a Software Engineer with experience designing, building, and maintaining high-scale distributed systems. You’ll play a key role in architectural decisions for current and future features as well as establishing the culture and craft of engineering at Spill.
- Addressing and solving complex problems at both an application and system level
- Collaborating effectively with teammates, technical partners, and the open source community
- Owning and managing all the phases of the software development lifecycle (planning, design, implementation, testing, deployment, and support) and guide critical decisions correctly that fully consider software best practices, Spill's architecture, and customer requirements
- Designing, building, deploying, and maintaining microservices optimized for high-availability, throughput, fault tolerance, & performance.
- Challenging architectural choices we make in building platforms or products/services at Spill. Ensure technical decision making aligns with our brand ethos of ease of use and high developer productivity.
- Teaching and mentoring other engineers to level up our collective capabilities and knowledge
- Working in a culture of feedback, inclusion and engineering excellence
Who you are
We’re looking for someone who meets the minimum requirements to be considered for the role. If you meet these requirements, you are encouraged to apply.
- 3+ years of professional hands-on software development experience
- Experience developing, maintaining and debugging distributed systems built with open source tools
- Experience developing and scaling GraphQL based APIs and microservices in Node, Python, or Go and a willingness to learn
- Experience deploying and operating large scale workloads on a public cloud(AWS preferred, Google, or Azure)
- Expertise in developing and debugging across a diverse service stack including storage and data solutions
- Demonstrated track record of improving software quality with stable deploys
Benefits we offer
Competitive salaries - We know you're in high demand, so we aim to be in the top 10% of salaries based on what you'd make as a Silicon Valley engineer regardless of where you reside.
Remote work - We are a remote first company so work wherever you want. Also, we supply whatever hardware and software you need to do your job from home.
Health, dental, & vision - Spill offers PPO and HMO plans for you, your family, or domestic partner. We pay 75% and you pay 25>#/p###
Unlimited PTO - We know you'll love working at Spill so much that you'll want to stay heads down every day and night but seriously we want you to take the time you need to bring your best self to work.
Paid parental leave - When you welcome a new baby, Spill encourages you to take up to 16 weeks leave as primary or secondary caretaker at 100% paid salary.
Our commitment to diversity
Spill is an equal opportunity employer and celebrates diversity. If you’re smart and good at what you do, come as you are. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds including race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, and disability status.